Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fundraiser for 100miles4Owen






On Thursday June 3rd, we celebrated the life and memory of Owen Simmons, Andy and Heather Simmons SMA angel. The celebration took place at Lebeau's Tavern in New Bedford and a good time was had by all. Clam Cakes and Clam Chowder were on the menu as well as good times, good friends, and inspiration.

We were there to raise money and awareness on behalf of the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation(our new friends from Cali) and to help kick SMA in the groin! I was able to see old friends and met quite a few new friends. It was truly a special night in remembrance of a special boy.

As the evening wore on, my good friend David Conceicao became the master of ceremonies and quickly had everyone grabbing their stomachs in laughter. David is a very special friend and I am very fortunate to have friends like this in my life.

I would be negligent in my duties if I didn't recognize special people in my life who made the night a smashing success. Gillian and Claudia Sampson have been so instrumental in helping me along the way. Anything I need, they drop whatever they are doing and are there for me. This fundraising drive would be nowhere if it wasn't for them. I am eternally grateful for the help and compassion. I would also like to thank Magda for all her help and for procuring some great raffle items for the fundraiser. Magda is always willing to go the extra mile and has also been deeply effected by Owen's story.

Lastly I would like to thank Andy and Heather and especially Owen. Andy and Heather are powers of examples for me and I am grateful for sharing their little Owen with all of us. How they have handled this adversity is awe inspiring and gives me direction in how I handle adversity in my life. There were beautiful pictures of Owen all over the Tavern and were a constant reminder how powerful his life and spirit were, even though he was only here a short while. He will live in our hearts and spirit forever and we are forever grateful. Thank you, you are missed Owen but will never be forgotten!

3 comments:

  1. It is so good and comforting to know that people like you exist on this earth... What you are doing is amazing and wonderful. Good luck with your run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck tomorrow Stephen. We will be sending all of our positive energy your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that you are an amazing person! Not everyone would go through the things you have ,but to have the chance to keep Owen's memory alive. Your story gives a new meaning to everyone who thinks they have it rough , think how rough it was for you to keep going not knowing if you could make it all the way to the finish line!
    GREAT JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete