Monday, May 24, 2010

New Bedford High School WILD club car wash




As many of you know, I am a Police Officer in the city of New Bedford and have had the privilege of being assigned to New Bedford High School as a School Resource Officer for the past nine years. It can be quite a challenge at times but it is also I believe the most rewarding job a Police Officer can have. As a graduate of NBHS(1987 good grief) it gives me great pleasure and enormous pride to let you know about what a great group of students did this weekend for SMA and the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation.

A teacher(Lisha Cabral) who happens to be a long time friend of mine, helped form a group of students into a club called WILD(We Imagine Life Differently). This student groups goals are to change the culture of the school, to empower students, and to help make a difference in our community. WILD had heard about 100miles4Owen and wished to help raise money and awareness for SMA. They did this without me asking and did it all on their own. WILD decided on a car wash to help the cause.

The car wash this past Saturday was a huge success. Approx. 25 kids showed up and donated their whole afternoon to help find a cure for SMA. They raised approx. $1500 in little more than three hours and it is my understanding more moolah is coming in. More importantly they helped educate the public about this terrible disease which for some reason is not widely known. Take that SMA, grass roots baby! It made me so proud to be affiliated with NBHS. We as "old people" are always quick to find fault with young people when they mess up, but sometimes we forget how to praise our youth when it is so justly deserved. I addressed the kids at the end of the car wash and told them how proud I was of them. I could feel myself becoming emotional because what the kids from WILD did was reinforce my faith in young people. So to the WILD club, my heartfelt thanks and gratitude to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment